Supply chain statement - 16 June 2021

The measures we're taking to ensure we contine to meet your needs

We continue to work closely with our suppliers to ensure they are able to support our requirements despite the challenges presented by Brexit, the COVID pandemic and certain electronic component and steel supply shortages we have seen of late.

The measures we are taking include increasing stock holding, multi-sourcing, gaining better clarity over forecasting and working collaboratively to do everything we can to ensure your business is not impacted.

We continue to monitor and adapt our supplier relationships in order to mitigate any disruption to supply. Nevertheless, given the nature of the global challenges affecting the market, we cannot guarantee that there will be no impact on production, however, we do not foresee any immediate production issues arising in the coming months.  


Brexit FAQs - 20 January 2021

Download our Brexit flowchart

What is going to happen post Brexit?

The UK and EU trade agreement (Brexit) which contains new rules for living, working and trading between the UK and the EU took effect from 23.00 GMT on 31 December 2020.A Free Trade Agreement (FTA) has been reached which broadly means that tariffs and quotas will not be applied on the majority of goods traded between the UK and EU.This Trade agreement however does not eliminate all customs checks so additional paperwork and other formalities are now required for trade between the UK and the EU.

Existing UK trade agreements with non-EU countries

Agreements with certain countries and trading blocks are expected to take effect when existing EU trade agreements no longer apply to the UK.  These include Canada, Central America, Israel and Switzerland.

See the full list here.

The UK has also signed a free trade agreement with Japan.  Find out more.

There are ongoing discussions with other countries where there are existing EU trade agreements in place.  These include Albania, Mexico and Turkey.  See the full list here.

Mutual recognition agreements (MRA)

The UK has signed MRAs that replicate existing EU agreements with Australia, New Zealand and the United States of America.  

How are you preparing for potential supply chain delays?
We have increased our stock holding of key components and continue to work closely with our suppliers and freight forwarders to mitigate risks as far as we can.

Will I need to pay taxes and duties?
Duties and taxes may still be charged at the point of import into the UK or the EU depending on the HS code or country of origin of products.  The person or business receiving the shipment is legally obliged to pay duty unless the sender has agreed to accept these charges in the contract of sale (this will be shown by the Incoterm ® used). It is important that you understand any potential import tax and duty you may have to pay, which will be dependent on your HS code and the output of negotiations.

What is a deferment account and do I need one? 

A deferment account is an account authorised by your local customs office through which your payable duties can be paid directly to the authorities for a certain accounting period on a predetermined due date.  Deferment accounts are not compulsory, but can be cost-effective and help ensure quick customs clearance as duties are paid in full at the time of import.

More information can be found on individual country government websites.UK businesses can find more information here.

Will Advanced products carry a UKCA mark? 

The UKCA (UK Conformity Assessed) mark will apply to most goods previously sold under the CE mark.  The requirement for UKCA effectively came into force on 1st January 2021 and is relevant to product sold in the UK, product sold in the EU will still require CE marking.  To allow businesses time to adjust companies are still able to use CE marking in the UK until 1st January 2022.  Advanced will be completing our UKCA marking requirements prior to 1st January 2022.

Will Advanced ship product directly to EU countries for customers based in the UK? 

Advanced will no longer ship product directly overseas on behalf of UK based companies (ie. invoice in the UK but ship International).  In these cases, we will only ship directly to the UK entity and those companies will then be responsible for onward international shipments.

Trade Between GB and Northern Ireland

From 1 January 2021, goods entering Northern Ireland from GB need customs declarations.  The Trader Support Service (TSS) will effectively see the Government acting as a customs agent on behalf of businesses.

This link explains how to go about signing up for TSS.

The Trader Support Service:

  • Can help if you move goods between Great Britain and Northern Ireland, or bring goods into Northern Ireland from outside the UK

  • Is free to use and will guide you through any changes to the way goods move between Great Britain and Northern Ireland

  • Can complete declarations on your behalf

Sign up for the Trader Support Service (

The Northern Ireland Customs & Trade Academy

Find out more about the Northern Ireland Customer & Trade Academy here.


The Northern Ireland Protocol explains that goods from Great Britain (not deemed to be at risk of leaving the UK customs territory) will not pay any tariffs. However, goods ‘at risk’ of entering the EU’s single market will pay EU tariffs.

Please click on this link for further assistance regarding duty tariffs and information on trading and moving goods in and out of Northern Ireland.

Businesses using TSS to meet new declaration requirements for moving goods from Great Britain to Northern Ireland will soon need to provide information to the TSS for the completion of supplementary declarations where they are deemed to be the declarant of record.  Under FCA and ExWorks Incoterms the declarant of record is deemed to be the buyer.  We would recommend that you talk to your designated freight forwarder, clearing agent or courier company as many of them can complete the declarations as part of their integrated logistics service to you.


Questions for overseas customers 

Do you expect any disruption in international shipments of your products over the next couple of months?

It is unclear what disruption there will be and we would encourage all International customers to make additional allowances for shipping time.

Can you supply Country of Origin information for your products?
We are currently compiling a list of Country of Origin data which we will publish on this web page shortly.  In the meantime, we will supply this information on commercial invoices.

What are Incoterms and are they important?
The Incoterms rules or International Commercial Terms are a series of pre-defined commercial terms widely used in international commercial transactions.  These include:

  • Where the goods will be delivered

  • Who arranges and pays for the transport

  • Who is responsible for insuring the goods

  • Who pays the insurance premium

  • Who handles customs procedures and who pays duties and taxes

Incoterms are an important piece of information on the commercial invoices that will need to accompany shipments.

What Incoterms will Advanced trade on after 1st January 2021?

To give the best possible service and flexibility to our customers, we will be shipping using Ex Works Incoterms where you wish to arrange your own carriage, and FCA (Free Carrier) Incoterms where you wish Advanced to arrange carriage.  The guide below shows further details on FCA.  You can also download a copy here.

Brexit Map


Download flowchart


What will the impact of FCA terms be on couriers and delivery?

Our incoterms and logistical arrangements remain unchanged. FCA allows the flexibility for you to arrange to collect goods from our premises, or for us to arrange delivery to you or any delivery address that you require. 

If you have a deferment account you will need to provide this information to your freight forwarder, courier or clearing agent (if you have one) and they will complete the clearance for you.

If you do not have a deferment account they will advise you how this payment can be made going forward.

What are the commodity codes for your products?

All products we supply will carry the commodity code: 8531 1030 00.

Are you registered as an entity within the EU?
Yes, we are being supported by our parent company Halma, who have created an entity for those companies within the group who do not have a current EU based location The address is:

Halma Europe DS BV, J. Keplerweg 14, 2408AC, Alphen aan Den Rijn, Netherlands

Have you already in place or plan to have the resources and administration/customs intermediary in place by 31/12/2020 to issue customs declarations and invoices for exporting outside of the UK? 
Advanced already ship our products globally and therefore our export shipping team are fully trained and experienced in all aspects of international logistics, additionally we have full support from our freight forwarders and courier company to assist with customs clearance and documentation. We are anticipating some challenges in this area of course.

Can you confirm that all products supplied will be correctly labelled and marked under EU Law?
Yes, over the past few years Advanced has worked hard to ensure the products are certified by EU based notified bodies. All products supplied will carry the correct certification and labelling to meet EU regulations and are now certified by European notified bodies.

Where can I find Declaration of Performance certificates?
You can find these on our website under 'Approvals' here.

Will there be a UK equivalent of the EUR1 form?
There is a UK equivalent but there is insufficient clarity at the moment on the detail and therefore we are not in a position to supply these.  We will update this page as and when we know more. 

Will a commercial invoice be required?
Every shipment between the UK and the EU will need a commercial invoice with information for customs authorities. This helps the authorities assess if the goods can move in or out of a country and what, if any, controls are needed. It also helps the authorities determine duties and taxes. It is vital to supply an invoice with the right information as it reduces the potential for delay.

The Advanced export shipping team are fully trained and experienced in producing commercial invoices where required. Further information on commercial invoices is available here.

What needs to be included on the commercial invoice?
Our commercial invoice will include the HS Code, the description of the goods, the value and the country of origin.

What is an HS code and is it important?
The Harmonized System (HS Code) is a list of numbers used to classify a product for tax and duties and any necessary restrictions, and consists of at least 6 digits.  When you have classified your goods, customs authorities all over the world are able to identify the contents of your package.  The system is used by more than 200 countries and covers 98% of traded goods.

You can classify your goods on your country’s Government website.  You can also use an online HS code search – just type in a detailed goods description and you’ll get your code.  If you don’t include the HS code on the commercial invoice and other shipping documents, it could delay the shipment and you risk the receiver paying the incorrect duties and VAT.  You can find further information here.

What is a BTI?
Binding Tariff Information (BTI) is a tool created by the European Community to assist economic operators to obtain the correct tariff classification for goods they intend to import or export. Binding Tariff Information is issued on request by the customs authorities of the Member States. It is valid throughout the European Community.

Do you have BTIs or any other European Tax Authority?
We do not have any BTIs. We use our HS code is 8531 1030 00.

What is an EORI number and is it essential?
An Economic Operator Registration and Identification number (EORI) is a European Union requirement for businesses which import or export goods to and from the EU.

If you currently trade outside of the EU, you will already have an EORI number. If you only trade within the EU, you will need to register. Both shipper and receiver will need to be EORI registered in their own respective countries.  If you are shipping from the UK to Germany for example, you will need to register with the UK authorities. Your receiver will need to register with the German authorities.

EU EORI numbers will not be recognised in the UK.

UK EORI numbers will not be recognised in the EU.

We advise all customers to register for an EORI in your own country as soon as possible. It only takes 10 minutes to apply. Applications can be made through your country’s government website. UK businesses can register here.

What is Advanced’s EORI number?
GB 733 8363 23000

Will it differ for Northern Ireland? 

For Northern Ireland a different EORI number is required this is:

XI 733 836 23000

For further information and support around shipping in and out of Northern Ireland please refer to the government website and also

Do I need an import license?

You should check your local government rules to see if this is required.

Where can I find additional information?

Please see the FedEx website here, which contains a lot of useful information:



Advanced Fire Systems

Our fire panels and systems are known all over the world for their leading performance, flexibility and ease of installation and use.